Food Assistance

Food Stamp Benefits

The Food Stamp program helps buy food for your family. It is designed to raise nutritional levels, to expand buying power, and to safeguard the health and well-being of individuals in low-income households. A household may consist of an individual or a group of individuals who live together and usually purchase, prepare, and eat their food together.

Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT)

Food stamp benefits are issued through the Electronic Benefits Transfer system. Information is encoded in a micro chip embedded in a plastic card resembling a credit card. At the grocery store check-out counter, the client enters a pin number and scans the card, the amount purchased is deducted electronically from the individual's or family's total monthly allotment of food stamp benefits. If you have lost your food stamp card, please call 1-866-386-3071.

Who can get food stamp benefits?

Households whose gross monthly income is within 130% of the federal poverty guidelines, whose monthly income after all allowable expenses (net adjusted income) is within 100% of the poverty level, and whose resources (cash, savings, stocks, etc.) do not exceed $2000 ($3000 if a person is at least 60 years old or disabled) may qualify for benefits. The income and resource limits do not apply if each person in the household assistance group receives income from any of the following programs: Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Ohio Works First (OWF), or Ohio's Disability Assistance program (DA). Resources of an SSI or OWF household member are excluded.

What are allowable expenses?

Allowable expenses are: medical expenses for individuals 60 years of age or older or who are considered disabled; dependent care costs; legally-obligated child support; shelter costs (rent, mortgage, property taxes, gas, and electric)

What needs to be verified?

At the time of application some items such as income and expenses will require verification. If the household has little or no income and resources the household may be eligible to receive benefits right away pending required verification, except identity. Normal processing requires that benefits be issued or the application be denied within 30 days after the date the application is filed.

How often is your situation reviewed?

Depending on your household's situation, you will have a review (recertification) of your eligibility for food stamp benefits at least once every 12 months or more often if your household is experiencing a lot of changes or has earned income.

What can be bought with food stamp benefits?

Food stamp benefits can be used to buy food or food products intended for human consumption. You cannot use food stamps to buy alcoholic beverages, tobacco, or hot food and hot food products prepared to be eaten immediately. You cannot: sell or trade food stamp benefits; buy non-food items; use food stamp benefits to buy food for someone who is not a member of the household.

Note: This is only basic information. An accurate determination of eligibility for food stamps requires an application be filed and an interview be conducted regarding each household's specific situation.

You can apply for Food Stamp Benefits at the local county department of job & family services. Gallia County Residents can fill out an application and be seen daily between the hours of 7:00am and 2:00pm. An additional interview is generally scheduled for the following day with a caseworker.  Additionally, you can apply online at

U. S. Department of Agriculture Food Assistance Non-Discrimination Statement

In accordance with federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its agencies, offices, and employees and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, religious creed, disability, age, political beliefs, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.) should contact the agency (state or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form (AD-3027) found online at and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by one of the following methods:

  • Mail: 
    U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;
  • Fax: (202) 690-7442; or

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.