GALLIA COUNTY LAW LIBRARY ASSOCIATION
The Gallia County Law Library Association originated in the early 1940's when a young attorney in his 30's donated some books to the county for use in a law library. That young man was John E. Halliday. A few years later in 1949, Mr. Halliday and seven other Gallipolis attorneys joined together as trustees to incorporate the Gallia County Law Library as a non-profit organization. Those signing the original Articles of Incorporation July 18, 1949 were:Henry W. Cherrington William P. Cherrington Robert M. Switzer John E. Halliday William H. Janes Perry J. Bailes John W. Howell Robert M. Betz
Currently our shelves hold over 8,000 books, dating as far back as reprints of a 1791 publication, “Laws passed in the Territory of the United States Northwest of the River Ohio”, “Ohio Decisions” from 1840, and “1910 Ohio General Code”. There are hundreds of these older books (which, by the way, are still used on occasion). On a more recent note, we have the newest versions of the Ohio Revised Code, Ohio cases, legal text and form books, United States Code, Federal Reporters, and U.S. Supreme Court Reports.
Through the years, the boards of trustees and part-time help maintained the library for use by the Gallia County Bar Association and officials of the city and county. In 1990 the law library was made available to the public by hiring a librarian to keep the library open during courthouse hours.
The Gallia County Law Library is located on the second floor of the Gallia County Courthouse and is open to the public for legal research during regular courthouse hours; no books may be checked out by the public. The Gallia County Bar Association has access to the law library at all times through use of a key-card system.
GALLIA COUNTY LAW LIBRARY LEGAL RESOURCES BOARD:
Adam Salisbury, Chairperson
Tom Moulton, Jr.
GALLIA COUNTY LAW LIBRARY LIBRARIAN: